Saturday, July 01, 2006

Last Night

Last night, I didn't bowl or score as well as I did the week before. But I'm still pleased with how I was able to focus more on executing well than I did on scoring well and with how, paradoxically, I was able to score better than I probably would have if I'd focused more on scoring well than I did on executing well.

However, I wonder how it is with the most successful bowlers and other professional athletes. Do they perform better when they focus mostly on executing well, or do they perform better when they focus mostly on winning? I suspect that the most successful athletes focus a lot on both. The nature of the sport and the constitution of the athlete probably determine the most successful mix of the two factors.

But I'm not a professional bowler. I'm just a guy who's increasingly interested in speaking every word and performing every act with mindful lovingkindness, equanimity, empathy, compassion, joy, wisdom, and grace.

No comments: